Friday, June 20, 2008

Reflection at the end of the freshman year


This is the last essay I write before hanging out the assignment. How well the old saying goes, “time waits for no one.” At the very moment I met students in higher grade, they told me to cherish the happiest first two years in medical school, because life would be nothing but studying after third grade. When I look back to the first year of my university, fortunately, I can proudly say that there are things unforgettable to me. However, on the other hand, there is equal number of things that make me regret.
The most unforgettable thing is that my friends and I set up a band, called “blue bubbles”. I have had the honor to play as the “drummer” of the band. We performed in two activities of medical school. We didn’t do very well at the first one, but after more practice, we did a pretty good job at the second one. I have improved a lot, yet I know that I am far from my expectation. This summer, I have set up plans to practice as much as possible, for this may be my last chance to have so much spare time.
In addition to my band, I made some very closed friends in university. Unlike in high school, I lived with my new friends in the dorm. Therefore, we are getting familiar with each other in an amazingly short amount of time. I had to say that I was very homesick at the beginning of the first semester. I was not the kind of person who could get along with others as soon as we met. My roommate was much successful in social skill than me, and she often teased me on this issue. I felt lack of confidence and became more afraid of the new environment. However, I realized a very important thing one day, and suddenly all of my fear went away.
I don’t have to compare myself to anybody. I am unique and this fact has nothing to do with other people. You can be beautiful or smarter than me, but I can still remain my own uniqueness and feeling good about myself. After that very moment, I live much more happily. I dare to show myself in front of strangers, and they become interested in me. I grew up a lot during this year. I know now that I can depend on nobody. At the same time, nobody can tell me I can or can’t do something. I get to take full responsibility to my behavior. I am free now, but I should be more decent.
I admit that a small voice in my heart still long to be that little girl being cared by loved ones all the time. However, I have no choice to step forward. Therefore, why not step forward in a confident and delighted pace? After all, this is the most energetic and active period of time in my life!
While there are many things for me to be proud of, there are still many other things that I feel regret about. The first thing is that my academic performance is awful. I hate to use such strong description, but I am afraid that this is true. I put little attention on my study, and I forget all my good studying habit in high school. I believe that this is only an adjustment time for me to find the balance between experiencing new stuff and keeping the obligation of a student. I feel sorry to those who expect me to have great accomplishment in “serious stuff”. Moreover, I feel sorry to myself that I didn’t cherish the treasure opportunities to study. My parents always tell me that being a student is the happiest time in their life. I feel that I should devote myself more in academic performance in the future.
My goal is to be at least the top 50 students in my class! Go go Judy!!
Oh~by the way~I am going to New York this summer!!! Yes!!!

No comments: